School Name

Find It Fast

Icon Boxes

Portal Boxes Container

Find It Fast - Box 1

Find It Fast - Box 2

Find It Fast - Box 3

Elementary School

Middle School

High School



Celia Clinton School was donated to the City of Tulsa in the late 1800s. This school was named for Celia Louise Clinton (1899-1904), the sister of Ruth Lyon (Clinton) Kellom, the daughter of Lee and Sue Clinton, an early pioneer family. Celia Clinton was born on November 26, 1899 and died of scarlet fever in 1904. Her sister, Ruth Lyon Clinton Kellom, was a member of several prominent organizations including: Boston Avenue Methodist Church, of which her parents had been founding members; Junior League of Tulsa; the Colonial Dames of Oklahoma; the Ruskin Art Club; the Children's Day Nursery; the Children's Home; the Shakespeare Club, and the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Celia Clinton’s father, Lee Clinton, founded the Union National Bank of Tulsa, which housed the Clinton Building. Besides banking and real estate, his interest was in cattle-raising. He and oilman William G. Skelly co-founded the Tulsa Stockyards.

Initially located at Southwest Boulevard, the school now is at 1740 N. Harvard Avenue. The original school, located at 21st Street and Quanah Avenue, was acquired by annexation in 1909, abandoned in 1939, and razed in 1952.

Clinton was a high school when it opened in 1925 and graduated its last class in 1937. In 1938, it was a junior high school. It housed several elementary students during the building of Pleasant Porter School. The school was originally located on the estate of the Clinton family, who lived on the Half Circle S. Ranch, built with Louise Atkins Clinton’s Indian rights money. Celia Clinton’s sister was Vera Clinton McBirney, a family with longstanding ties to the Tulsa community.

Key Contributions

The Clinton family was very much invested in the local community and greatly embodied the values of the community. The Clintons’ contributions include land and financial assistance to the community and school system.

All sectors of the community have reason to admire the Clintons. The Clinton family invested in education, church schools, public schools, and colleges. The family donated land to Tulsa Public Schools.

Relevant Historical Context

The school was named in 1925. The land belonged to the Clinton estate and they donated it for the school. This school was built four years after the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre.



Celia Louise Clinton (1899-1904) Grave Site. (n.d.). Retrieved from

Wikipedia. (2018, January 19). National Register of Historic Places listings in Tulsa County, Oklahoma. Retrieved from,_Oklahoma

Wikipedia. (n.d.). Clinton-Hardy House. 

Contact Us

Celia Clinton Elementary
1740 N. Harvard Ave.
Tulsa, OK  74115

Celia Clinton aerial view of buildings
Celia Clinton students in 1923